Monday, April 20, 2015

Book Review- Born to Run- Christopher Mc Dougall



Book- Born to Run
Author- Christopher Mc Dougall
Genre- Non fiction; A true adventure story



Running has really being getting attention in all part of the country nowadays. Earlier, one rarely heard of everyday people training for marathons. Switch to today, and marathon training has become a serious business. Corporate barons, employees can all be seen competing with veteran trained runners. It's the new way to bust stress, build endurance and say hello to a fitter, healthier new you. So it was but natural that I was scouring the internet for a must read book for amateur runners.

One lucky day, I chanced upon the Amazon's list of 100 must read books in a lifetime, and Born to run seemed to call out to me saying "Pick me up! I'll change your life!!!". It's really ironic that I only picked up Born to run to read when I was banned from running. I had just been initiated to the joy of running doing 5K's, 10K's and had begun training for my first half marathon when I was advised to stay away from running.

In this real life true adventure story Christopher Mc Dougall take us to the land of the ultra-runners to witness the greatest race the world has ever seen. In my opinion, its not just the best book on running, but the best book on life! The author talks not just about running but about life, building endurance, evolution and even nutrition all through a riveting true story. 

All through my life, whenever I'd face tough times I'd always wonder- 'Why me?'. This book gave me the answer I had been seeking for ages- building endurance! Now when a challenge is thrown my way its 'Yay me!' instead for I eagerly look to spot the hidden opportunity in a trial and seek to learn something new and be a better person.

I fail to understand why most great names have reviewed this book as only the best book on running when its actually the best book written on life ever! I'm amazed that it touches upon everything-  right from how to be a better person, lead a happier fulfilling life, to nutrition (eat like the poor is my mantra now), human evolution and yes running!

I cherished each word of this book I'm really looking forward to the day when my ban on running gets lifted and I can put on my running gear again (since I will be starting from scratch I think I'll still need shoes, but you can bet they definitely won't be Nike :-)!!!).

If you love running, then this is a must read. Even if you don't, read it for the amazing life lessons it has to offer. I wrote a small poem after reading this book which summarized my feelings after reading this book. 



The image is sourced from here. The poem is mine.
It's an image of the author Christopher Mc Dougall running in free flight.

Author Bio: For more on this amazing book and the author bio visit his website here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment